Growth Mindset

 I had never heard of Carol Dweck before, but she reminds me of a very good 1st grade teacher I had. I appreciate her way of thinking, while I also see some issues with it. Unfortunately, I do remember times with math was so hard for me that I would get so frustrated and give up. Now hearing about the growth mindset, I wonder if it was because of the pressure of not doing well on whichever assignment or test I was trying to finish. It would have been encouraging to not have the pressure of being labeled as a failure put on a 12 year old, but I am also unsure if I would have pushed myself so hard. 


I think one of my biggest challenges coming to college was the fact that there is never a break because you have to juggle so many subjects at once. It felt like I was constantly trying to play catch up in one class or another, which I am sure is a common feeling for new college students. I think the structure of this class automatically takes some of that pressure away, especially with the grading concept. I do see how this grading concept is beneficial in that I don't feel like I continue typing because I am going to fail if I don't,  but I continue typing to better explain my views as well as feel that I am giving myself an accurate grade. 


I am definitely interested in learning more about the growth mindset. It was very interesting to hear about how this concept of teaching and learning has been beneficial in the American education system and I would be interested in looking deeper into those studies.


Overall, I like the idea of the growth mindset. I think as a society we have a big issue when it comes to things like mental health, and my opinion is that a lot of this comes from the lack of confidence due to the possibility of failing. It is too much pressure to have on any person to feel as though they must reach some sort of benchmark in order to feel successful.

This image presents some statements that go with the idea of the growth mindset. My favorite bullet point is "I am ready to ask for help". I think a lot of people, in many areas of their like not just education, think that asking for help is weak, when it is truly the best way to learn as long as you have a good teacher to listen and help you grow. Image was found in an article my Parvin on https://kidsnclicks.com/growth-mindset-quotes/




Comments

Popular Posts