Feedback Strategies

 Giving feedback is so difficult because you don't want to come off as like you think you're superior or hurt someone else's feelings. I personally think one of the best aspects of giving feedback that keeps you from sounding like a know it all is to explain that you've made those mistakes as well. You learn to fix your own mistakes by receiving feedback about what you did wrong in the first place, no one is magically perfect at anything.

In the New York Times article titled "Why It's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback," Tim Herrara discusses how it is important to be open and completely honest when giving feedback. He says to avoid giving "praise sandwiches" because it comes off as superficial and ultimately isn't helpful to the person receiving the feedback. This will be important to remember when I am giving someone feedback as I do try to sugar coat things because I am scared of hurting someone's feelings.

In the article titled "How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk," Adam Grant explains how he was told to use a compliment sandwich when giving feedback. When he actually looked into this, he found it is actually a bad technique. He points out that when people are receiving feedback and hear praise, they brace for the insult next. He also points out that it comes across disingenuous. Reasons to cushion feedback without using the sandwich method are explaining the reason for the feedback, take yourself off the pedestal, ask if the person is open to hearing feedback, and be transparent. 

I will absolutely look back at this post when I am giving feedback so I can best help people to improve their writing. I plan on making it clear that I am no expert writer, but as a reader the points I suggest are just things I think could be improved. 

I love this image. Feedback is so important to grow. It is not only important for academics, but in many areas of your life. So it is just as important to learn how to give feedback as it is to learn how to accept it.
Image found on the Padlet.





Comments

Popular Posts