Reading Notes: Bible Women Part A

Below are a small collection of notes and thoughts on the Bible Women Readings Part A:

Eve- This story is meant to show the sin of man. I believe the serpent is to represent lust, which Eve first had and then gave to Adam. They learned of evil, therefore they learned to sin. I will say, I think this story comes across very sexist. The whole weight of the mistake is placed on Eve. I grew up in a Christian household and still hold Christian beliefs, but I think pieces of this story are where some of our society believes that a wife's purpose is to serve the husband, and I don't like that aspect very much.

Sarah- I guess this is where the idea of circumcision comes from? I find it strange that Sarah was scared that she laughed, why? This story confused me a bit.

Hagar- From what I understand, Sarah asked Abram to have a child with Hagar. Which he did, and then Sarah was angry at the sight of Hagar. Then Sarah has a child, and she cast Hagar away. This seems really unfair... not sure what to think of it. I also am realizing this style of English is harder to understand than I thought.

Rebekah- Rebekah seems like a really kind woman. It is odd to me that one of the sons, Esau, is supposedly great while Jacob was basically born to fail. I don't really like that, but at least Rebecca loved him!

Rachel- Wait a minute? Isn't it a belief in Christianity that you are only supposed to "go in unto" only one woman? It appears that I grew up with a very G rated version of the bible... Also, is that not incest somehow? I truly hope I am getting the family tree mixed up.

Leah- Okay... this is MESSY! MESSY! So sis's sister took her husband and the Leah had 4 of his kids so Rachel was salty and made her maiden have kid's by Jacob so then Leah got salty and made her maiden have more of Jacob's kids and then Rachel finally had her own kid? AND THEN SHE DIED? This is some tea. And also really sad.

Potiphar's Wife- Wow, poor Joseph. From what I understand, Joseph was a servant and the master's wife wanted Joseph to "lie with her" but he said no. She then lied to her husband and said that Joseph had "lied with her" and so Joseph was put in jail for it. Yikes?

Jephthah's daughter- This one lost me a little bit. Bewail her virginity? To the mountains?

Delilah- Okay so, Delilah loved Samson and then ultimately caused his demise. At first I thought she was testing his love for her, but then I think his eyes got stabbed out? 

Hannah- From what I understand, Hannah was not doing as the Lord wanted of her so he made her unable to have a child. When she then did end up doing what the Lord wanted for her, she was able to have a child and she gave birth to Samuel. 

That was really hard to understand. I understand that many of these stories are symbolizing something that they are not directly saying.

Here is a serpent that I imagine looked like the one in Adam and Eve. Except I also think the serpent may have actually been a person to signify lust. Photo by Alfonso Castro on Unsplash


Comments

Popular Posts