Week 4 Story Lab: Microfictions

 After exploring each section of the microfiction notes, I wrote up a couple of small paragraphs below encompassing my thoughts about each.

Tiny Tales from India: This type of extremely short writing seems much more difficult to me. As students, we have been taught to meet a page count usually. This has caused my writing to be very long form, and honestly fluffy. I read the story about the the Jackal telling the lion king a story. It is so simple, in so few words, but encompasses a whole story plot. I would definitely have to practice to be able to accomplish this.

Tiny Love Stories: I specifically read the stories in The New York Times article, "How About We Don't Speak Tonight?" These stories hold so much emotion in so few words. I almost find it more powerful than a full romance book. The way they are written, and the theme of many of them, is that our time with people is so short. These stories tell that in few words, showing through the words that time wasn't enough and the amount of words as their are so few.

Hint Fiction: These are stories on only 25 words, requiring the reader to use their imaginations to fill in the gaps. I like this opportunity to finish the story how I want. It reminds me of why I like to read books, because you get to imagine the characters how you want.

Six-Word Stories: I read the stories in the NPR article. They are honestly, for the most part, sad. It's weird to me that you can encompass an emotion in just 6 words. I am curious if they start with longer sentences and then par that down to just 6 words.

Two Sentence Horror: WOAH! Some of these are pretty messed up for two sentences. As a person who loves horror and true crime, I find them interesting though. They feel like an unsolved case, and I want to find all the missing details. 

There is a heartbreaking short love story in the New York Times article called "How About We Don't Speak Tonight?" The short story titled "Always" by Marcy Tolkoff Levy tells of two people in love, who passed from COVID and were buried together, six feet apart. This is them. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/12/style/tiny-modern-love-stories-how-about-we-dont-speak-tonight.html



Comments

Popular Posts