Reading Notes: Brer Rabbit Part B

 Again, just some details about my favorite stories from this section of stories by Joel Chandler Harris's series of books of Brer Rabbit tales.

Brer Rabbit tricking poor naive Brer Bear in the story Mr. Rabbit and Mr. Bear. Image Source

Mr. Fox and the Deceitful Frogs: I am putting this down before I read it just because I like the idea of a deceitful frog. After reading this story, I wouldn't say it was actually one of my favorite because it was hard to understand. I can't tell if the turtle's muttering were supposed to be words that I could sound out and understand.

Old Mr. Rabbit, He's a Good Fisherman: I was a fan of this story. Brer Rabbit is very tricky. I am thinking for my story I could simply use his trickery as a story and create one similar in a more modern tone as I don't know how to write a whole story in the way these are written. I also think I could change the ending of the story. In this story, Brer Fox believes Brer Rabbit is hiding some sort of fortune at the bottom of the well. I could possibly rewrite the story but make it where Brer Rabbit actually is hiding a fortune at the bottom!

Mr. Rabbit Meets His Match Again: This story has a life lesson take away. If you and someone else divide work equally, don't take more than your share. Greed will not get you anywhere except for in trouble. In this story, Brer Rabbit sells himself out after getting into a dangerous situation with Brer Buzzard due to his lying about their shared crop.

Mr. Rabbit and Mr. Bear: Okay, I am calling a peanut a goober from now till forever. Brer Rabbit is being greedy once again in this story. I am getting a theme of greed throughout all of the stories, maybe I can incorporate that theme into my stories as well! Except in this story, Brer Rabbit's cleverness gets him out of paying for it. I feel so bad for Brer Bear, he was just trying to provide for his family! Maybe I could write a sequel to this where Brer Bear gets his revenge.

I can't decide if I should attempt to write these with the dialect. I want to I think because I like the effect it has, but I am not sure if I can pull it off.

Comments

Popular Posts