Week 6 Story: Storybook Research on Faun

 I am using this assignment to do a little more background research on one of my focuses for my Hybrid Creature storybook! I am going to focus on faun research.

A faun is a half man half goat. The most recognizable faun is most likely Mr. Tumnus from Narnia! They are known to be romantic and carefree creatures. They can play beautiful music that basically puts people in a trance, as you may remember Mr. Tumnus playing a flute in Narnia. Fauns can use this ability for evil. According to an article on mythology.net by Gellar, Fauns have been known to lure travelers into the woods and also persuade beautiful women to fall in love with them. Here is his flute song from the Narnia soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uu6KBIDlcI

Fauns are most often present in greek and roman mythology. They were also revitalized in the romantic period because of the popularity of fairy tales in that times, according to Gellar. I found this interesting as I don't recall any fairy tales that include a faun, so this will be something that I will have to explore further and hopefully I find some things I can include in my storybook. 

According to Enclave Publishing, Fauns can have human feet instead of goat feet... how weird. I LOVE THAT! I think that would be a fun little aspect to throw into my stories! Another thing from the Enclave Publishing article, they are known to wear wolf skin to protect sheep from other real wolves. That's so sweet of them! A famous faun, named Pan, is a healer. So they are truly giving creatures. I don't exactly recall Narnia super clearly because i haven't seen it in a while, but I feel like Mr. Tumnus at one point betrayed someone? I could be wrong but if I am right, this seems uncharacteristic after doing a bit of research on them.

I am excited to start my project and hopefully find some fairy tales so I can see the fauns' personalities!

Faun and A girl. He doesn't look too nice here? Found on the mythology.com article.

Fauns in a Wooded Landscape. Aw, they're dancing! Found on the mythology.com article.




Comments

Popular Posts