Week 9 Story: Can A Rabbit Bear Going To Couples Therapy?

 

Places Brer Rabbit would rather be than couples therapy. Photo by Anton Maksimov juvnsky on Unsplash

*Picture this, there is a large log in the shape of a lounge chair. It is surrounded by weeping willows, creating a calm mood. Upon a boulder in front of the log is a monarch butterfly. She is cool and collected, steady yet firm. The trees part like a curtain. In walks a large bear, looking solemn and hurt. The trees close for only a second. In hops a disgruntled rabbit, paws crossed and all. The bear takes a slouching seat on the log, the rabbit chooses to stand.*

Martha, the Monarch: So, I hear you two have had a disagreement. As you both know, our neighborhood is very quaint. The birds talk. Everyone has heard what happened, but I would like to hear each of your sides of the story. Brer Bear, you may start.

Brer Bear: Well, you see Martha. I was on my morning stroll. I stumbled upon Mr. Rabbit here. He had gotten himself all tangled up in some sort of rope. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was making money from Mr. Fox by watching over his patch of goobers. He told me I could watch over the patch for a while so that I could make a buck too... he tricked me. My feelings are so hurt Martha, I thought he really wanted to help me and instead, he got me all beaten up by Mr. Fox. Brer Rabbit is selfish.

*Meanwhile, Brer Rabbit picked spare carrot out of his paws, uninterested.*

Martha: Brer Rabbit, do you have anything to say for yourself?

Brer Rabbit: What do you want me to say Martha? There was a bear next to me and a fox who was going to find me in his trap. I am a rabbit. I was going to die and leave my 600 children without a father. Bears can fend for themselves. Can I leave? This is stupid.

Brer Bear: SEE MARTHA! He is mean. He is selfish. 

Martha: You two need to work this out. I can see it will not be easy. Brer Rabbit, you need to think of others, not just yourself. Brer Bear, you need to be wary of other animal's intentions, although thinking good of all people is not necessarily a bad thing, it can be your downfall.

*The sun peaked through the willows.*

Martha: The sun is always a reminder that there can be new birth in any relationship. I would like to see you two back here at 11 am next Tuesday. I hope to see progress. Brer Bear, please do not eat him in the meantime.

Author's Note: I based this story off of the tale of Mr. Rabbit and Mr. Bear from Joel Chandler Harris's series of books of Brer Rabbit tales. This is the aftermath of the situation. I used a monarch as the mediator because I view them as wise and peaceful. turning this into a couples therapy session adds humor and I wanted the opportunity to show Mr. Bear's vulnerability in the original story through his dialogue. Throughout the majority of the Brer Rabbit tales, Mr. Rabbit is truly self-centered, so I wanted to show that as well. I hope you all enjoyed!



Comments

  1. Hi Brooklin!

    I really enjoyed your take on this story. I think turning it into a couple's therapy session adds an element of humor that really works with the original story. The description at the beginning was great for setting the scene, and the use of the monarch butterfly as the mediator works really well. Overall, I really liked your take, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brooklin! I love this story! I like how you took it as an opportunity to pick and prod at the aftermath of what Brer Rabbit did to Brer Bear. It made me laugh and was very wholesome. I like how you used a butterfly as the counselor and set up the space as a calming area. I could really picture it in my mind, so good job! I wonder what the next session will look like? Will Brer Rabbit finally show some interest in making amends? Will he let down his trickster persona to do so? And will Brer Bear try to eat him in the end, anyway? Thank you for such an entertaining story! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts