Week 11 Story: Did you hear the steaming hot tea?

 Brer Gossip Girl here!

Did you hear the tea straight from the meadow yet? That's right critters and mammals, there is a murderer in the meadow. A vicious one at that. What's the worst way to die? What's the worst way to kill?

Ask the guy with the innocent white tail and the big ears. His method is scalding one to death. You heard that right. That Rabbit is no Rabbi, evil lurks behind those beady little eyes. 

If you haven't caught on yet, Brer Rabbit is the murderer. And he does not appear ashamed. Take a walk through the meadow. You'll see his dear old menace's hide hanging on the porch. SHIELD THE CHILDREN'S EYES! It ain't pretty.

Word is Brer Rabbit is claiming self-defense to the local police. According to big ears, Brer Wolf was trying to devour one of Rabbit's little ones. I can't say that is hard to believe. It is indeed believable. So the story goes that Rabbit kicked him with those little powerful legs. Wolf fell into a large trunk and Rabbit's children slammed it closed. Rabbit claims he was unable to keep it closed for long, so he quickly removed the steaming hot kettle from the stove and poured it into the trunk, steaming Brer Wolf to death.

Who do you believe? All I know is I personally think death by hot kettle sounds like a bad way to go. I will not be drifting through the meadow. This is the only hot tea I will be getting near. 

XOXO Brer Gossip Girl.


Author's Note: This week I read American Indian Fairy Tales, but found them kind of hard to follow. I really loved the Brer Rabbit stories that I read in Week 9, so I chose to base this week's story on The Awful Fate of Mr. Wolf by Joel Chandler Harris. I thought it would be fun to change it up and tell the story from the view of Gossip Girl. This is some steaming hot tea, who thought Brer Rabbit had it in him to be a killer? In the original story, Mr. Wolf was trying to trick Brer Rabbit and told him there were dogs after him. I wanted to tell Brer Rabbit's side of how he deceived police into believing this killing was in self-defense, which it partially was. I hope you enjoyed this retelling!

Brer Rabbit doesn't look scared here, he looks evil. Image from Brer Rabbit: Tales of a Trickster

Comments

  1. Hey Brooklin,
    This was a really great story I really liked how you modernized it by adding aspects from the popular tv show Gossip Girl. It was a really nice touch, and I agree some of the stories in the American Indian fairy tales were kind of hard to follow. I still think you did a great job of adapting the story of Brer Rabbit. I think telling it from the view of gossip girl was great, especially the ending asking the question of who we believe. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts