Week 13 Story: I Escaped A Serial Killer

 

Mr. Fox's Killer Castle. Photo by Tim Rebkavets on Unsplash

I escaped a serial killer, barely clinging to life. I am here to tell my story. To caution women from charming men on the street. It doesn't matter how smooth his tongue is or his promises of love and wealth, no man should be trustest. Behind every promise is an expectation. You can never be sure, but in my case, the expectation is that I would go down easy, without a fight, into the afterlife. Another skeleton in his closet, hidden away forever.

It was a Thursday, there is never anything special about Thursdays. It was sunny. The birds were chirping. I had left my house in one of my finest dresses sporting my grandmother's diamond ring on my finger. Her ring size was a bit smaller than mine, but I loved that ring so I allowed my finger to suffocate a bit. This will all be relevant in my story later, I promise.

As I was saying, it was a Thursday. I was wondering about the village enjoying the sunlight and the newly blooming trees and flowers. As I was picking some pansies a man approached me. He was wearing a long coat, which I thought was odd for it was warm outside. He began picking pansies beside me. He offered good mornings and we exchange pleasantries. He said his name was Mr. Fox. He then grabbed my hand, eying my grandmother's ring. 

"I am a collector, my dear. A lover of antique jewelry one may say. This is the finest diamond I have ever seen. Might you come with me to see my collection?"

I was weary. Though I am technically an adult by age, I still hear my mother's voice warning me to never go with strangers.

"How far away is your collection?" I asked.

"A fifteen minutes walk. What if I make it worth your while? You can pick out any jewelry piece you like before I explain their worth," pleaded Mr. Fox.

A piece all my own? My family was comfortable, but I was not yet wed therefore I did not have more than my grandmother's ring to call my own. I agreed.

We walked and talked for fifteen minutes... and then 15 more minutes. I asked Mr. Fox how much further as I took in the scenery. I studied the woods around us. They seemed to be getting foggier, more mysterious. Suddenly, everything went black. I came to in a circular room. It appeared to be some sort of tower. My blurry eyes took in my surroundings. My head pounded. Bones? Are those bones? And what is that putrid smell? BODIES! THOSE ARE BODIES! My fight or flight kicked in. I put my hands down to push myself to my feet to find I only had one hand. My hand that carried my grandmother's ring was gone, chopped at the wrist. RUN! My head screamed.

Carefully, I opened the large wooden door. It was silent. I looked down the hall to see a sign. It read, "Be bold, be bold, but not too bold, Lest that your heart's blood should run cold." Bold I was. I ran for my life, down a bridge, in the direction of smoking chimneys. That is how I came to be safe. I have one hand. I have no rings. But I have my life.

Later that week, while I was recovering, a woman came to visit me. Kind and beautiful, she informed me that her soon-to-be husband was the man trying to kill me, and she had seen the whole thing. She apologized profusely and comforted me by telling me that man was dead. 

Don't trust men, while not all of them are bad, everyone has their intentions.

Author's Note: I wrote this story from the point of view of the woman from Mr. Fox. Mr. Fox is part of the English Fairy Tales section. In the story, Lady Mary is engaged to Mr. Fox. He was very secretive about his castle so one day why he was working, Lady Mary decided to check out the castle for herself, only to discover that her fiance was a serial killer, hiding many bodies in a room. Mr. Fox came to the castle with an unconscious woman and chopped the woman's hand off to get the ring. The hand rolled toward Lady Mary and Mr. Fox could not find it. He disposed of the woman's body and left. Lady Mary revealed what her fiance was doing and Lady Mary's brothers killed him.

I wanted to write this story from the woman's point of view. I also like to believe that she was only unconscious, not dead, and was able to escape with her life. I love true crime and thought this would be a neat point of view on a very dark story! In the story, Mr. Fox's castle had many signs saying to be bold. I wanted to incorporate this in to the woman's escape. I am very happy with how it came out and I hope you enjoyed it!

Mr. Fox from Joseph Jacobs' English Fairy Tales.

Comments

  1. Wow! This was an intense story! It really got into the mind of someone nervous. I could just imagine her speaking just a little to quick and repeating herself often. Reading about the room was super creepy too. You did an excellent job of setting up the atmosphere! I think it was a good idea to write it from her perspective too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts